Sunday, October 23, 2016

Week 9 - Current State Documentation

Only If I Have To

     Rarely do I include Current State documentation as part of my Enterprise Architecture activities.  Time is limited and if I am able persuade the stakeholders why we should support an EA initiative without the this documentation, I forgo it and focus my time on other EA artifacts.   

     Gartner states that some understanding of the current state is needed for enterprise architecture planning, but many organizations get bogged down documenting too much.  They recommend that you document what you need in order to move your initiative forward, but not much more than that.

     I find the best way to win over your stakeholders is to explain - What is in it for me? (WIIFM)  Give them a reason to get in the boat and row!






     I will admit that there are times though when you've tried everything to convince your stakeholders why we need to do a particular EA initiative with no avail or you need this information to do a proper gap analysis and in these cases, you will have to resort to creating Current State documentation.


Bellah, B. (n.d.). What's in it For Me? Retrieved October 24, 2016, from http://butchbellah.com/whats-in-it-for-me/

James, G. A. (2006, November 29). Document Just Enough Current-State Architecture - Gartner. Retrieved October 23, 2016, from https://www.gartner.com/doc/498991/document-just-currentstate-architecture 

No comments:

Post a Comment